Tagz has come a long way since I launched it last September. Something which began as a clean room django application has been accumulating a lot of cruft. One patch at a time, its turned itself into an unmaintainable mess of a codebase.
In retrospect, I feel Python and Postgres weren’t really the best choices I made for writing Tagz. I believe Tagz would be better written in PHP with MySQL as the DB. I’ve come to learn the hard way that Django with Postgresql can’t quite match the blazing speeds possible using raw PHP with MySQL (and MyISAM DBs).
Starting today, I’ve decided on stopping all development on the current code base of Tagz. I’ve begun a rewrite of Tagz in PHP. The current users may rest assured, since backwards compatibility is an important goal for this rewrite. I’m hoping to finish the rewrite in less than a month. I’m expecting the transition to be a smooth one.
Finally, Thanks to all the current users (no thanks to all the spammers) for all the encouragement and the feature requests, without which Tagz would’ve never have come close to what it is today.